Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Week 13: Pretzels

Yes folks, you read that right. Pretzels. Who makes their own pretzels? I do! After a few weeks of sweet treats, I decided it was time for something more savory. Don't you just love that word? Savory. Makes my mouth water just saying it. Or typing it. Oh, you know what I mean.

These are super easy. When was the last time you baked something with only 5 ingredients? Plus, they don't take all day to make. You should try this.


Pretzels
Makes 8

DOUGH:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
7-8 oz. warm water

TOPPING:
1/2 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. baking soda
coarse, kosher or pretzel salt
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted


The recipe I used had all kinds of variations for mixing the dough, but really, how hard is it to throw 5 ingredients in the mixer for a few minutes? I know there are people out there who love their bread machines, but I'm a snob and I refuse to use one. I'm old school that way. So here's what you do:

Combine all dough ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Knead the dough by hand (or use the dough hook attachment on your mixer) for approximately 5 minutes, till it's soft, smooth and quite slack. Flour the dough, put it in a ziplock bag, and let it rest for 30 minutes.


Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Hindsight being what it is, I would advise against making pretzels on a day when you could just as easily fry an egg on the sidewalk. 500 degrees will heat your house up nice and toasty. Take it from me.

Prepare two baking sheets by spraying them with nonstick cooking spray, or line them with parchment paper.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface (a little vegetable oil on the kitchen counter will work well), and divide it into 8 equal pieces (if you're into using your kitchen scale, they should weigh about 70g or 2 1/2 oz each). Allow the pieces to rest, uncovered, for 5 minutes. While the dough is resting, combine baking soda and warm water in a shallow bowl. Make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved; if it isn't, it'll make your pretzels splotchy.

Roll each piece of dough into a long, thin rope (28-30 inches long), and twist each rope into a pretzel. Dip each pretzel in the baking soda wash-- this will give the pretzels a nice, golden-brown color. I had to whisk the baking soda wash every time before I dipped. I really don't think it's possible to completely dissolve the baking soda. Sprinkle them lightly with coarse, kosher or pretzel salt. Allow them to rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.


Bake the pretzels for 8-9 minutes, or until they're golden brown; reverse the baking sheets halfway through baking.

Remove the pretzels from the oven and brush them thoroughly with the melted butter. Keep brushing until you've used all the butter. I know it seems like a lot but in my family, butter and salt are practically their own food groups, so keep on brushing that butter. :) Eat the pretzels warm, or reheat in the microwave.

(pay no attention to that little guy up in the right corner. quality control, ya know.)

I've gotten pretty lucky so far in this project, in that there have only been two recipes that I wasn't crazy about. It seems like I say "this is SO good" every week, but it's true. I promise to be very honest with you, and if I'm not into something I've made, you'll be the first to know.

And I know this is a pretty big claim, but I'd almost go as far as to say that these pretzels are just about as good as that pretzel place at the mall. For real. I'm looking forward to trying some cinnamon raisin pretzels drizzled with a powdered sugar icing. Doesn't that sound SO good? (There I go again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment